The past couple weeks have been absolutely crazy around here. For the record, I have nine (count ‘em, NINE) days of school left before summer vacation. Between last minute grading, CNYRW meetings, Book In A Week challenges, and two training workshops geared toward the new CCSS math modules put out by New York State, I feel like I haven’t had time to breathe.
Fortunately, the hubs and I officially booked our summer road trip lodging last night, and I’m looking forward to getting out of Dodge again for some quality time.
I’ve been focusing a lot on revisions to the HFMO Part 1 the past few weeks. My May BIAW goal was to revise and edit about 36 scenes for POV consistency, and look at some “scene and sequel” things. It went exceedingly well. I only had a few scenes that needed a total overhaul, most just needed a bit of tweaking. Of course, I then decided it was time for a serious sit-down from page 1 to page however-many-pages-the-sucker-is-long to do line editing. Somehow, I managed to cut about 2000 words in the process (and I still have 4 chapters to go!)
Then I thought I should really take a careful look at my query and synopsis, and I did a bit of tweaking there. I think I’m getting better with the synopsis, and I’m close with my query blurb. I suppose someday I’ll be confident in that particular skill. Because it’s hard and I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.
And then I hemmed and hawed for about a week over entering the HFMO Part 1 in the Unpublished Maggie Awards, held by the Georgia Romance Writers. This year, they added a “novel with romantic elements” category, which nicely fits the HFMO because it’s not a “true” romance, even though it has a couple love stories. I contemplated, I worried over the synopsis, I nit-picked my first few chapters to make sure they were as clean as possible. And then I took the plunge. Away my entry went this afternoon!
Now I just have to wait until August 15th to find out the results.